Sunday, July 8, 2012

Races!

After another weak performance at the Tuesday Whitaker Woods races (probably because it was so hot and muggy) Nick, Melissa and I took to the track Thursday for a 200m interval workout.  Nick and I hit 29-31 and Melissa was solid in the high 30-low 40 range.

We started July with the MIT track meet, where Nick hit 4:43, I ran 4:44, and Melissa 6:08 for 1500m.  Nick jogged the 3k to a victory with 11:18, and Melissa and I ran a very hot and windy 800m in 2:17 and 3:18, respectively.  The times for most everyone were poor because of the heat.

July 3rd was my big race of the week; the Manchester Mile.  I ran 4:34.8 with Nick closing at the finish at 4:39.9.  Sure it was downhill, but those are good times regardless.  I thought the finish was slightly more downhill, but it was rather flat, so I didn't have quite enough left for a strong finish.  I was hoping to break 4:30, but maybe next year!   We both won our respective age divisions, and we were both in the top 10 overall (although not even close to the top 4, 3 of whom ran sub 4!)

We all did Bridgton's Four on the Fourth.  Nick and I had dead legs, after the mile race the night before.  Nick still pulled off a 23:25;  his age division was stacked, with race winner Silas Eastman, and another younster in the top 5 in the mid 22's (which Nick could probably do with a day of rest in between races).  Melissa ran a PR 31:34 for 3rd in her division (she got heavily boxed in at the start, but still did well), and Alex ran a PR at 34:04, after 6 weeks of not running.  My time was 24:50, but somehow I managed to win my age division anyway.  Unfortunately, I may have tweaked my achilles, which started bothering me after a 10.6 mile run over this weekend.   That will be inconvenient, as I was hoping to bump up the mileage and do more track work to get ready for Masters Nationals in August; instead I will be babying the injury and trying to maintain fitness.

==
Darin

No comments:

Post a Comment