Saturday, July 28, 2012

Nationals coming up; achilles battle

After nearly three weeks of backing off training (mostly to heal up the achilles injury from July 4th) I gave another shot at a 5k race today at Lancaster, to make sure the PT has taken and my achilles is up to speed. 

Much like Lovell last weekend, I felt terrible right from the start, and my time was a very similar 18:22.  The only things I can say that are positive are that I wasn't tired after the race, and I don't have a lot of pain.  I took 5th overall, and managed a mug for the age division award.

Nick had a terrible race, finishing slightly behind me after taking off to the lead and then feeling like his arms were made of lead.  He still won his age division by over six minutes, and he gets a week off now before X-C season training starts for real.

Melissa ran OK with a 24:17 time and an age division victory (by a few seconds).  Her training is "run a few miles every other day" as she is still too young in my opinion to start serious training.  She will have plenty of time for that later!

I leave for nationals next week, and hopefully I can make it out of the trials at 800m, but my focus is to just do the best that I can, given the injury which has hampered my last 3 weeks of training.  I had high hopes going into the season, but after missing all three of the practice meets due to injury, I have resigned myself to looking forward to next season to set my personal bests.

==
Darin

No comments:

Post a Comment