Sunday, December 25, 2011

First try at 3000m

Nick and I went to Boston Saturday to run in the BU Mini meet.  Nick is changing gears after a long X-C season, in which he won the NH State Championships, and competed in the USATF Junior Olympics, placing 175th in the National meet (getting caught up in a clog of fallen runners near the start). 

I have not run a serious race since January's injury, and this was a true test, racing 3000m on the track.  I prepared by staying up all night (OK, so I planned on NOT racing so deliberately scheduled myself to work) and we left at 6:30AM for the 9AM start time.  They postponed the start until 10am, so we were very, um, early. 

After plenty of warmup, I took off at the back of the section (I was the last seed anyway) and hung there for the first mile (5:22).  I passed one person shortly after, and basically just tried to hang onto the pack (we were all seeded very close, within a 15 second window).  This worked well for me, and in the last 400m I tried to pick it up, passing one more person and hitting what seemed like negative splits, but turned out to be pretty much another 5:22 pace split.  The time counts as a PR since I have never raced it before, and under the circumstances I was very happy.  I came back to run the mile with Nick, seeded at 5:10, and ran a 5:12.

Nick ran 2:35 for the first 800m, and I passed him there and tried to drag him along to a 5:10 or so finish, but he started breathing in the track dust and was unable to come back in the last 800m, instead hitting 5:20.  This is technically his mile PR, but he ran that as a split in a 2.1 mile race, so obviously he can go faster.  His goal is sub-5 by the state meet, and of course a victory there would be nice too. 

I am planning on taking a little time to recover but racing again in 2 weeks, probably another 3000m, rather than trying to test the calf and hamstring too much with speed.    Hopefully I can log a strong mile at one of the later races this season as well.

====
Darin

No comments:

Post a Comment