Friday, October 7, 2011

getting back into shape

Todays workout was highly encouraging.  I ran a loop I cleverly call "Around the Lake" as it goes, well, around a lake.  A lot of it is on the road but some is on dirt, including the last mile which is virtually all uphill.  My prior personal best (set 2 years ago) was 73:07 for 10.65 miles.   Today I managed a very nice 72:44, although I cut the last bit so the net was only 10.46 miles.  I was dying miserably at the end, running 7:44 for the last mile (up the big hill) after averaging 6:40's for most of the rest.

I am encouraged enough by this that I may sign up for another race.  Although watching Nick win races and go for course records is fun, too.  His latest victory was the Kennett Invitational, where he hit 11:38 running alone and against a 30 MPH wind.  This was only 3 seconds from the course record that was set during a two man battle between world ranked biathlete Sean Dougherty and Fryeburg Academy standout Silas Eastman (who just broke his course record at FA with a 15:57 last weekend).

That's some good company!

==
Darin

No comments:

Post a Comment