Sunday, October 2, 2011

First 5k road race this season

I took Nick and Melissa to the 3rd annual Gary Millen memorial 5k today.  After running around yesterday at Coe-Brown's Black Bear Invitational with the high school team, giving splits and cheering on the Kennett kids, I was a bit fatigued.  I planned to try to run with Nick, maybe picking it up if I was feeling good in the last mile.  The pouring rain didn't encourage fast times, either.

We started out at 5:51, which was a bit quick for Nick (who was going for 6:00 per mile pace) and a bit slow for me to stay with the leaders, but overall a good split.  I went 6:13 for the second mile.  I never understand why on this course, where the second mile is down hill, that this is the slowest mile, but it seems to be the case every year.  I left Nick in mile 3 and ran 5:41, but it was not enough to catch the leaders, including race winner Steve Piotrow (17:55) and long time racing companion Jasmin Lepir (18:13).  I finished in 18:18, which is my season's best  (naturally, as it's my first race), and Nick finished next at 18:54, which is his PR (prior best was this race last year, at 19:41).  Melissa hit her best too at 24:21.  The three of us won age division awards.

There is another 5k coming up in two weeks at Whitaker Woods, and the kids have their home X-C invitationals this week, so much more to come!

--
Darin

No comments:

Post a Comment