Saturday, March 19, 2011

Back at it

After two months of rest and rehab, my torn calf muscle has finally healed enough to allow me to get outside for some training runs.

Recovery takes so much longer as you get older, and despite attempts to maintain fitness during the rehab process, I have lost what seems like two year's worth of fitness in the two months.

While there probably won't be any races in my near future, I am going to be training hard with my sons, one of which is on the high school team, and the other, on the middle school team.  While Alex is hoping to score some points for the HS team, Nick has his eye on the school records, so he is highly motivated to train hard.  Nick and I have done a couple of 6.4 mile runs this week, and with track practice officially starting next week, we all hope to use these early workouts to get in much better shape.  Neither of them have been running much either, so at least I can still keep up!

My GPS watch was still set on .25 mile intervals, which goes back to my last run outside, which was the millennium mile!  It will be a long time (if ever) until I will hit a 4:28 again, but the journey starts now!

===
Darin

2 comments:

  1. Darin, I hope this comes back way sooner than you think... You didn't miss too much this winter. I know you love the track, but there's only a few meets in the winter and the warmer weather is right around the corner...which means more races, more opportunities to have fun and get some good training runs and workout efforts in. I hope to see you out there soon! Good luck to your sons and glad to hear you are back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jim!

    Good job at the Snowshoe Nationals!

    ==
    Darin

    ReplyDelete