Sunday, January 16, 2011

Dartmouth Relays... season ending injury

Well, it was great while it lasted.

At Dartmouth, I was looking to try to PR at the 800m, and it was not an issue of besting my times from last year, but by how much.  All-American is 2:06, and I thought I had a legitimate shot.

There were several problems going into the meet.  I was sore in the achilles on the left side, having been not quite right since the double back 800m (in spikes) 3 weeks ago (where I ran 2:12 only about 20 mins after PR'ing in the mile).  Also, the race was at 9:30 AM, instead of the usual Friday afternoon.  This meant that I didn't have much time to get warm, loose, stretched, or relaxed.  It was all about getting there before 8:30 (2+ hour drive) and then trying to compress the warmup as much as possible.  I was spending time chatting with folks I hadn't seen for a while, including Adam Harder, who was coming off a bad achilles injury,  Bill Newsham from GBTC, Laura Barre, and a few other Mass Velocity teammates.

The race itself got underway, and I started out in 2nd place behind a Canadian.  He took off at sub 2:00 pace, and I let him go a little, but came through at 30, then 61.  By 600m we both started fading, but I realized I had been on my toes (in the spikes) for all 600m and I was fatiguing in the foot/calf area very badly.  I tried to get off my toes but the spikes were relatively unforgiving.  I came through at 1:33, so I only needed a mere 33s 200m to get my target time, but I was starting to think something was wrong.  At 700m, I started to back off a little, and the change in pace caused and abrupt searing pain in my calf along with an audible pop.  Within 1 step I had stopped dead (in lane 1) and fortunately I wasn't creamed by any other runners.  I limped off the track (a very good sign in itself) and went over the to training area.  Tucker Taft helped find me a trainer and some ice. 

The trainer gave me the Thompson test, which I flunked, suggesting a tear of the Achilles.  I knew that it only hurt on the medial side, however, and I was able to limp a tiny bit (plus I didn't faceplant, which is the typical achilles tear outcome).  Within 48 hours the swelling had gone down enough for me to deduce that it was a gastrocnemius tear, rather than achilles, and so now I am out for 3-6 weeks with a long rehab course to follow.

If only I could have finished the race!! 

So I won't be wearing spikes any more, and I suspect the mile will be the shortest distance I will be able to race for a long while.  These never heal completely, and there is always a serious risk of recurrence.  The good news is, I don't need surgery, and I should be back running before I decondition completely.

==

Darin

No comments:

Post a Comment