Sunday, January 2, 2011

Milennium Mile

Last week, Nick and I went to BU for the second Mini-meet.  Nick set his PR at 5:26.1, while I was not feeling great and managed a 4:55. We planned on doubling back in the 800m as well, but the snowstorm was on the way and we needed to get out of Boston fast! Interestingly, Nick's first 200m split was 3 seconds faster than mine.  Alex raced the 1500m last week at UNH with a 5:47 finish.

The big race for me was the Milennium Mile, where the four of us drove to Londonderry for a perfect day of racing.  It was about 45 degrees and cloudy, and the race drew a record 1100+ registrants (although only 927 completed the race).   I raced to a 20 year PR at 4:28 (I was 4:34 at this race twice in the past few years) and I was the top 40+ runner this year.  I started off in 66/67 for a 2:13 first half, and slowed a bit into the finish.  My recent cold symptoms caught up with me to some extent, otherwise I think I could have gone even faster (there is always next year!).  The extra core workout and stretching routines get the credit for my increased speed this year.

Nick PR'ed at 5:14, Alex had a PR at 5:47 (the same as his 1500m time, which is consistent with the downhill nature of this course) and Melissa had a PR despite having a bad cold over the past week, hitting 6:49.  Her mile split at nationals was 6:50, so obviously she can go faster!

Mass Velocity Teammate Bobby Segal was there, hitting 5:39 (that's got to be a PR!) and potential new teammate Harris Hardy took second in the 40+ category with a strong 4:34.

More indoor track races are coming in January...

===

Darin

No comments:

Post a Comment