Saturday, May 12, 2012

Catching up

Time to catch up; I have missed a couple of months of posting.  The short story is my indoor season ended badly at nationals with disappointing races in the 3000m and the 800m, and I was feeling so bad that I scratched out of the mile (a good decision).  Although I hit the All-American standard at the 3000m, my time was 20 seconds off my PR earlier in the season.  If I had raced the 800m like I had before I tore my calf, I would have been in position to win, and I would have certainly medalled, but I ended up in 7th.

Since then, I have been simply trying to maintain fitness, and get Nick to break 5:00 in the mile.  I have a couple of 18:30's for 5k this year (including a top Master's finish at the Children's Museum 5k last weekend), but I am nowhere near where I should be.  I need to pick up the mileage -- hopefully I can get out with Jim and Kevin once the kids' track season winds down and I have more time!

Nick has been progessing nicely.  His mile PR of 5:07 could get tested on Wednesday, the last meet before states.   Melissa won her first track race (mile) a few weeks back with a solid 6:35, and last week set a PR at 6:23.    Both Nick and Melissa won the respective races (Nick overall, Melissa the top female finisher) at the small Spring into Spring 5k last weekend (18:05 and 22:14, respectively).   They both hope to PR for 5k tomorrow -- all three of us will compete in the Mother's Day 5k. 

----
Darin

No comments:

Post a Comment